Friday, February 10, 2012

21COFH - The Inventory - Week 5

Well, I am running a wee bit behind with last week's project due to SLIG and RootsTech. The inventory I conducted is really an update since there have been at least two done previously. Here's what I did.

1.  I decided to consolidate everything by using OneNote and setting up a notebook called Goodrum Family Archive.

2,  Next I set up a tab called Inventories. Here is where the updated inventory went (along with the old inventories)
           and the new inventory form that will be slowly but continuously updated as the project progresses.

3. I also set up some tabs for item level descriptions that have been done on a few boxes previously.

4. Finally, I set up an Overview tab with a brief description of our entire photo collection:

Now onto this week's project!

This post was written in response to 21COFH - Take Inventory.
Link for this post: http://turning-of-generations.blogspot.com/2012/02/21cofh-inventory-week-5.html

© 2012, copyright Michelle Goodrum

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for showing exactly how you created your inventories, Michelle. I'll admit I was stuck on this step until I saw your models. I've now created at least the outline of an inventory that I can continue to fill in. Since I'm a Mac user, I did this on Growly Notes instead of OneNote.

    I created two notebooks: Bishop Family Archive (for my husband's side) and Ballenger Family Archive (for my side). In each, I made four sections: Master Inventory, Photos Overview, Documents Overview, and Heirlooms Overview. I've decided to go one room at a time around the house to fill them in. This will take much longer than a week, but at least I've got a format now. Great challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the models helped! I really like the four sections you set up for Master Inventory, Photos, Documents and Heirlooms Overviews. I'm going to keep that in mind as my project progresses!

      Keep plugging away. These things do take time. I've done several inventories myself over the last 2 or 3 years. Each one becoming more detailed (and bigger since more material is constantly added).

      Delete
  2. Michelle - your post caught my eye as I am preparing a presentation and I'm wondering how to get this torn edge effect on images! I use windows. Can you help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne,

      I used a program called Snagit. You can download a free trial from their website at http://www.techsmith.com/snagit.html
      I think to purchase it costs $50. I love it.

      I'm wondering if you can do the same thing with Paint which comes with Windows. The Technology Tamers at
      http://technology-tamers.blogspot.com/
      are doing a series on graphics. You might email her with your question. She might even put it in it's own blog post!

      Hope this helps! Michelle

      Delete